Monday, October 03, 2005

Life means Love

Life lived well + wittiness = MORRIE SCHWARTZ

Before, I admit, I’m really not into reading books, browsing excerpts, or even searching for life’s answers. I always tell to myself, “Nah, I’m not the nerdy type of person. I’d rather watch WWE or watch movies with my girls.” I despised doing book reports for school’s requirements or writing an essay about a certain novel or other fiction pieces. I tell you, I received a failing mark when I did a report on “Ibong Adarna”.


Life for me remained ordinary until I encountered Mitch Albom’s genuine and must-read masterpiece, Tuesday’s with Morrie. How did it happen? It’s very simple. I asked my bookworm buddies what were the good titles and where I could buy those. They advised me to consult Mr. Powerbooks. When I bought this book couple of years ago, it was on the top 10 Non-Fiction best-sellers (together with 5 People You Meet in Heaven also by Mitch Albom) of that store. I really hope it’s still in the top ten even or maybe I should deem it would be the number 1.


I really can’t believe how Mitch Albom loved Mr. Schwartz. And I really can’t imagine myself loving Mr. Schwartz more than Mitch. Do you think I’m exaggerating here, don’t you? I don’t think so, my friends! If you would just study the book then maybe you’ll feel me. Moreover, you would experience the greatness of impact it made in my life. The experience is like bumping into a million of stars then POOF! You’re one big brilliant planet! I bet there are lots of ‘Morrie-lover’ planets here continuously living life with importance and value.


In marketing management, there are 3 levels of product which are: actual, augmented and the core. In this book, the less significant level, also known as the actual level, defines the appearance itself. Tuesday’s with Morrie is a small book which makes it portable - you can carry it anywhere. You can keep it in your hand bag, leather case, or it can even fit in your pocket! It also consumes less space. Sound cool, right? Also, the author made used of small yet simple font making the book readable. Dangling and fancy letters were not allowed by Mitch. The augmented level or add-on/s of the book is that author provided his personal homepage (see back part of it). You can check reviews, offer suggestions, and know the author’s life by browsing www.albom.com.
The core level of a product is what the product could primarily give. For this book, it gives priceless information to ponder upon. This information is bannered by Morrie Schwartz’s exceptional thought, "The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." Whenever I remember this quotation, I always hum the lyrics of Stevie Wonder’s Isn’t She Lovely replacing the word “she” with “it”.


Truly yes, Tuesdays with Morrie made me learn how to love all God’s creation without asking anything in return. This book changed my perspective of life – from I-won’t-do-bad-things-but-be-steady-and-no-actions-required view to Just-do-good-things-and-reward-is-in-Heaven view. This book put my dreams together with love and forgiveness. This book made my heart see things that my eyes cannot see. It shaped me from happy-go-lucky/bad-boy character to a humble servant of God.


To conclude, one greatest lesson this book taught me is that life has two sides; the bright side and dull side, and it is up to us which one to choose and to love all the time. Am I hearing “Uhhh come on? Owwwws? Are you for real?!” Please, get yourself a copy.

2 Comments:

Blogger TR said...

brilliant review macky! :)

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Macky! I never knew how insightful you could be... that you had all of this in you. :) Hope you continue to be "this" inspired with LIFE... "Tuesdays with Morrie" is really a life-changing book. You should give everyone a copy... hehehe. Seriously, I myself have read it as well as "The 5 People..." and they just brought wonderful insights and realizations to me. I guess the hard part about it is actually living out these principles and stick with them. Have you read "The Alchemist"? It's also very good. Keep the ideas coming... hopefully "it" would spread to everyone. God Bless!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home